Gnocchi all Romana
My Interpretation of Gnocchi alla Romana
- 1 Pint Milk, or Half Milk/Half Water
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 Cup Farina (Cream of Wheat) or Polenta (cornmeal)
- 8 Tablespoons Butter, Divided
- 1 1/4 Cup Grated Pecorino Romano, Divided
- 1 Egg Yolk, Slightly Beaten
- Let the milk come to a boil. Add the salt.
- Gradually add the farina or polenta, stirring briskly and constantly so that no lumps can form. Cook on low for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the fie and add 1 tablespoon of the butter and 1/4 cup of the grated cheese. Then add the egg and mix well.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper on your work surface. Pour out the polenta onto the paper and spread to out until it is about three-quarters inch thick.
- While the polenta is cooling ad firming up, heat the oven to 425º F and butter a gratin dish and set aside.
- When the polenta is firm, cut it into squares or diamonds.
- In the gratin dish, put a layer of the polenta pieces. Sprinkle with some of the remaining cheese and dot with some of the remaining butter. Make another layer, and so on, until the dish is filled.
- Bake for 12 minutes and then broil for an additional 3 minutes.
|Cooking the Polenta and Adding the Cheese|
|Cooling the Polenta|