This May Not Be Historical But I Think It's Helpful!
- Measure out 1 cup of white rice (this recipe doesn't work too well with brown rice).
- Rinse the rice under cold running water for about 30 seconds to remove the starch.
- Place rice and 1 cup of cold water in a covered saucepan.
- If you would like to add spices to your rice, do so now. Cinnamon, cardamom pods, black peppercorns, and whole coriander seed are perfect flavors for Basmati rice (as seen in above picture).
- Cover the rice and set on medium-high heat for exactly 7 minutes. DO NOT OPEN LID. If the water starts to bubble out, remove from the heat and lower the heat. Return rice to the newly lowered heat.
- After the full 7 minutes, drop the heat level down to low. Cook for 15 minutes. Remember, DO NOT OPEN THE LID.
- After the full 15 minutes, remove from heat. Let sit for another 7 minutes. And, DO NOT REMOVE THE LID.
- After this last 7-minute period, OPEN THE LID. You will have perfectly cooked rice.
- You can adjust the amount as you need; one-to-one ratio of rice to water.
- If you added whole spices, remove them before service to prevent choking!