- They have been known since ancient times in temperate climates around the world.
- Ancient Greeks and Romans had wild strawberries.
- Romans such as Ovid, Virgil,and Pliny all referred to strawberries at some time.
- Strawberries were known to Native Americans before contact with Europeans.
- Two of the main ancestors of today’s large strawberries are the fragaria Virginia, from the US eastern seaboard and the Chilean strawberry (f.chiloensis).
- French and English botanists of the 18th and 19th c. experimented with cross-breeding different varieties of strawberries.
- Englishman, Michael Keens, was the first to market a large fruit strawberry on July 3, 1806 called the Keen Seedling.
The Recipe: No. 216. Strawberries, Whole, Wet.
|Preparing the Berries|
|Single Layer of Berries in Simple Syrup|