half a pound of butter beaten to a cream,¾ lb. of flour, ½ lb. of sifted sugar, 1 egg, ½ oz. caraway seed rolled into a thin paste, cut in rounds and baked in a slow oven.
Modern Recipe Adaptation
2 Sticks of Salted Butter, Softened
1 cup + 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
1 Large Egg
2 1/2 Cups of Flour (plus more for the board)
2 Tablespoons (or to taste) Caraway Seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar. Then, add the egg and beat.
3. Add the caraway seeds to the flour.
4. Add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until everything comes together in a ball.
5. wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. Remove from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
6. Roll out the dough to about ¼” thickness (#3 dough sticks work well); add enough flour to the board that you can work some into the dough if it is not firm enough to roll out. Cut the dough out in 2.5 inch circles and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake until they just start to turn slightly golden around the edges, about 11-12 minutes. Remove from oven and slide the parchment with the cookies onto a counter to cool.
Yield: About 5 dozen 2.5” rounds