|Red Cheshire Cheese|
|Maryland Gazette, 1775|
- In a medium-seize mixing bowl, combine the grated cheese and the butter using an electric mixer.
- Add the wine and continue beating with the electric mixer.
- Add the mace and mix just until blended.
- Pack the cheese in a ceramic crock. As we have refrigeration now, there is no need to cover the potted cheese with clarified butter, as in the original directions.
- Serve with toast points, on crackers, or on fresh bread. You can also make tea sandwiches with this cheese as a filling.
- The potted cheese can be refrigerated for about three days.