|A Fine Cream|
About Orange Flower Water
About Rose Water
The Recipe: To Make a Fine Cream
Source: Amelia Simmons, American Cookery, 1798 edition.
- 1 Pint Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Grated Nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Flower Water
- 1 Teaspoon Rose Water
- 2 Teaspoons White Wine
- 4 Whole Eggs, Large
- 2 Egg Whites, Large
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or stockpot, combine all ingredients except for the eggs. Whisk all these ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites.
- Add the whisked eggs to the cream mixture.
- Set the saucepan on the stovetop and heat on medium-low until the cream mixture starts to boil. Do this slowly and stir frequently. It should take at least ten minutes to get to this point. Let boil for just a minute and then remove from the heat.
- Strain the cream mixture through a medium mesh sieve to remove any cooked egg bits. You can spoon the cream into individual serving dishes/glasses or into one large bowl.
- Refrigerate until completely cold and set, at least one hour.
- Serve cold.