Saturday, April 2, 2016

Watermelon Cake: If There Had Been Pinterest in 1884!

Watermelon Cake Slice


The Recipe and How to Make It

Source: Mrs. Owens' Cook Book and Useful Household Hints, Chicago: 1884
Notes on the Recipe:
  • I halved the recipe for the white part of the cake because I could tell that it would be too much for the cake pan I was using.
  • I kept the amount for the red part the same as written, except I cut the amount of raisins in half and actually used Zante currants instead. The amount fit perfectly.
  • For the pan I chose to use (see below), I needed to bake at 350ยบ F. it for 85 minutes. It sunk in the center but turned out just fine.
I Used a Lakeland Walnut Bread Pan
Line the Pan with the White Cake Batter; Leave about 2/3 Cup For Topping Off the Cake
Fill with the Red Part of the Batter
Top Off with the Extra White Batter
Though not mentioned in the recipe, I took the liberty of making a green royal icing for the topping of the cake.
Iced Watermelon Cake

1 comment:

  1. That is so cute! Chocolate chips would be way better than raisins!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.