The Recipe: Oyster Soup
About the Recipe
Oyster Soup: Modern Recipe Adaptation
- 1 24-Ounce Container of Shucked Oysters
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Strips of Bacon, Cut in Small Pieces (plus extra cooked bacon for a garnish, if desired)
- 1 Small Onion, Diced
- 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, Chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt and White or Black Pepper to Taste
- Drain and rinse the oysters; remove any grit found in them. Set aside.
- In an enamel-coated cast iron Dutch Oven or thick-bottomed stockpot, melt the butter over very low heat and then add the bacon pieces and diced onions. Cook over low heat until the bacon is crisp and the onions are soft. Add the flour and cook about three minutes to cook the flour.
- Add the water and stir. Then, add the oysters, herbs, and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for three minutes.
- Add the cream and cook an an additional three minutes, or until the cream is heated.
- Serve immediately topped with the extra crispy bacon as a garnish (optional).