Modern Recipe Adaptation: Vanilla Custards
- 1 Vanilla Bean
- 4 Cups Milk
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 8 Whole Eggs
- Heat oven to 325º F. Place six 4-ounce ramekins in a large casserole dish.
- Slit the vanilla bean in half and scrape out all of the seeds.
- Place the milk, vanilla bean seeds & pod, and the sugar in a large saucepan. Place on the stove over medium-high heat. Cook until the the temperature reaches just below the boil and then remove from the heat.
- While the milk is heating, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks in a medium-size bowl.
- Temper the eggs into the milk by ladling about 1 cup of the milk mixture into the eggs and whisk together. Then add the egg mixture into the saucepan with the milk. Whisk together.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve.
- Pour the vanilla custard into the ramekins that are sitting in the casserole dish.
- Pour enough boiling water into the casserole dish so that it reaches about half-way up the height of the ramekins. Place in the oven and bake for about 26-28 minutes, or until the custard is set and firm.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight until completely cold.