|Chocolate Ice Cream|
Makes 1 Quart
- 1 1/2 Ounces Grated Chocolate, Unsweetened
- 1/4 Cup Water, Boiling Hot
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Read Ice Cream Maker Manufacturer's guidelines for freezing the bowl. Then, proceed to make the custard in step #2,
- In a saucepan, whisk together the chocolate and water until most of the chocolate dissolves. Add the milk, cream, and sugar. Place on medium heat and continue to whisk together until the mixture reaches about 175º F.
- Whisk together the egg yolks in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Temper the Eggs: Add about 1/4 cup of the hot mixture to the eggs and stir. Add the eggs to the hot cream in the saucepan and whisk.
- Return the custard to the stove and cook on low heat for a few minutes, until the custard reaches about 160º F and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir thoroughly.
- Place the custard in a covered container and cool in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- When the custard is completely cold, follow ice cream maker manufacturer's directions to make the ice cream.