The Recipe: Sweet Potato Pudding
About the Recipe
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry Dough
- 1 1/2 Pounds Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Cup Butter (2 Sticks), Softened
- 2 ¾ Cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Grated Nutmeg
- Grated Peel of One Lemon
- ¼ Cup Brandy
- 6 Large Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- ¼ Cup Candied Lemon Peel
- Peel the sweet potatoes, place in a medium pot, and cove with cold water. Bring to a boil uncovered, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until soft but not mushy.
- While the potatoes are cooking, line a deep-dish pie plate with the puff pastry dough and refrigerate until needed.
- Then, heat the oven to 350º F.
- When the potatoes are done, drain the water and place back in the cooking pot. If you have a food mill, pass the potatoes through the insert with the smallest holes. If not, mash until no lumps remain.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the butter and the hot mashed sweet potatoes. Add the butter and mix until it melts into the potatoes. Then add the confectioner's sugar, nutmeg, lemon peel, and brandy. Whisk together well. Finally, add the eggs and whisk until the eggs are completely incorporated.
- Pour the potato mixture into the prepared pie plate. Place the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake one hour or until the pudding is set and does not jiggle when lightly shaken.
- Immediately after the pie is removed from the oven, sprinkle it with the granulated sugar and candied lemon peel.